Spinach Quiche

Spinach Quiche

I love foods that can be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! Quiche is one of those dishes I make to use up extra veggies, and when I don't feel like going to the grocery store. Usually I just saute up some veggies, whisk together eggs, milk, and cheese and dump it all over a pie crust. This time I really wanted just spinach. And you know what? I liked it better than quiche with lots of different veggies. This is going to be a frequent dish on my dinner rotation - we all loved it.

You can play around with the cheeses and use what you have in the fridge. Cheddar, fontina, manchego all would be delicious. I am going to try adding a dollops of goat cheese before baking next time.

You can use a store-bought crust. But I don't recommend it. Nothing quite compares to a buttery homemade pie crust, and it's so easy - it's basically just flour and butter pulsed a few times in a food processor! I use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee (butter pie crust) but omit the sugar for savory dishes like this one. The crust does not have to be par-baked.

Spinach Quiche
1 3-ounce package cream cheese, room temperature
1/3 cup milk or half and half
3 eggs
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 cup grated gruyere
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup finely diced shallots
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven to 425°. Beat cream cheese in medium bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in milk and eggs. Mix in remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into prepared crust in a 9 in pie or tart pan. Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen and Bon Appetit, October 1991
Description: Spinach Quiche
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 3:38 PM
TOP